As any fan of instant oatmeal knows, “Apples & Cinnamon” is one of the most popular flavors in the variety pack.
If you want to make your own version at home, we’ve got a healthier – super tasty – recipe for oatmeal that kids and parents will love!
Apple Cinnamon Oatmal Recipe
Ingredients (Serves one)
- ¼ cup dry steel cut oats (or ½ cup rolled oats depending on time and preference)
- 1/2 apple, diced (I like most varieties for this except Granny Smith – too tart)
- 1 spoonful all natural peanut butter (or any natural nut butter)
- Chia Seeds (enough to sprinkle on top)
- Honey (optional)
I prefer using steel cut oats, although I know it can be time consuming. Here are just a few options to beat the clock:
1. Make the oatmeal the night before and heat with a hint of water the next morning.
2. They do make “quick steel cut oats” now which takes about 7 minutes.
So whether you take the time to make steel cut oats or choose to use rolled oats, the choice is yours.
Boil water and add oats. Stir slowly on medium and add cinnamon and chopped apples. I like to use a lot of cinnamon, but it’s up to you.
Continue to stir and the apples will begin to soften. Once the oatmeal begins to thicken, add peanut butter. When it’s the consistency you
desire, serve in your favorite bowl and sprinkle with chia seeds. If you like your oatmeal a little sweeter, drizzle your favorite honey on top.
Almost everyone loves apples and peanut butter as a snack, so now you and your kids can start the day with whole grains, protein, and a superfood. Have a great morning!!!
Want to see Natalie take you through this recipe step by step? Check out the video below: