How to Make Stained Glass Cookies
by Jessie Jane
One of the best parts of the holiday season are all the sweet treats - from fudge and candy to cookies, cookies and more cookies.
Check out this delicious dessert recipe for stained glass cookies that look as good as they taste! And for more great ideas, check out "Creative Christmas Cookies We Love"
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Jolly Rancher candies
1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and white sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in the egg, then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Cover dough, and roll into a ball. Cover the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. Chill two cookie sheets lined with parchment paper as well.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roll cookie dough out onto a cutting board with a little flour and start cutting out your shapes. You also want to use a smaller cookie cutter to cut the little shape in the center of your cookie. This is what you will fill with crushed Jolly Ranchers.
4. Bake cookies with NO jolly ranchers for about 10 minutes until slightly golden. Remove from oven and let cool.
5. Crush a bunch of jolly ranchers up and put the crushed pieces into the center of the cookie. Make sure you fill the cookie all the way to the top and do not let the little pieces go onto the cookie itself because they will melt into the cookie dough and just stain it.
6. Cook at the same temperature for 60 seconds until completely melted. Watch them carefully! Remove from oven and let sit on the silpat for 5 minutes until they are cool enough to remove from the sheet. If you remove to fast the center will stick to the parchment paper.
Want to watch Jessie take you through the recipe step by step? Check out the video below:
This project is part of our very special 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway! If you want the chance to win great prizes from Pottery Barn Kids, just watch the video and then answer the reindeer riddle for Day 4 on our giveaway page.
Too Old for Training Wheels!
Nice Things You Say That Really Annoy Me
Awkward First Playdates
The World's Toughest Moms Raise the World's Toughest Kids
5 Scary Birth Control Side Effects You Shouldn't Ignore
New Puppy Parent Anxiety
Brooke Burke-Charvet: Dancing Out Of The Ballroom - DWTS
20 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Had Kids
The Terrible "Kid Food" Advice I Still Regret Taking
5 Beautiful DIY Projects Made From Boring Household Items
Mr. Peabody & Sherman: Meet Your New Favorite Movie Dog Dad
Almost-Instant Chicken Fajitas
How To Do Yoga With Your Kids
How Much Time Do You Spend On Your (Facebook) Appearance?
New Tra-Dish: Easy Awesome Meat Sauce
Don't Ask Me, "So, When Are You Having Kids?"