Cinco De Mayo: Guacamole and Guilt-Free Margaritas!by ModernMom Staff
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Today is a perfect day to indulge in home-made guacamole and margaritas, and don't worry, we have a margarita recipe for you that is guilt-free and less than half the calories!
Delicious Guacamole Recipe
Here's a delicious, traditional guacamole recipe that's easy to make:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 red onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1-2 serrano chiles
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Dash of freshly grated black pepper
- 1/2 ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped.
- Garnish with red radishes or jicama.
1. Cut avocados in half. Remove seed. Scoop out avacado from the peel, put in a mixing bowl. Using a fork, mash the avocado.
2. Add the chopped onion, cilantro, lime or lemon, salt and pepper and mash some more. (Keep the tomatoes separate until ready to serve.)
3. Chili peppers vary individually in their hotness. So, start with a half of one chili pepper and add to the guacamole to your desired degree of hotness. Be careful handling the peppers; wash your hands thoroughly after handling and do not touch your eyes or the area near your eyes with your hands for several hours.
4. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
4. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole to prevent oxidation from the air reaching it. Refrigerate until ready.
5. Just before serving, add the chopped tomato to the guacamole and mix.
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz tequila, 1/2 oz triple sec and 1 oz lime or lemon juice.
Directions: Rub glass rim with citrus juice and then dip in fine granulated sugar. Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake 30 seconds and pour into glasses. Easy!
This is so delicious, so easy and less than half the calories of a traditional margarita: Ingredients: Vodka or Tequila, lime or lemon, Fresca and Mint leaves and/or basil if you want to be experimental.
Directions: Crush ice and add equal parts of vodka and fresca. Add crushed mint leaves and squeeze in some lime and/or lemon. Add vodka to taste :)