Scary news out of Atlanta today – Usher’s son, Usher Raymond V, was rushed to the hospital after a pool accident at the singer’s home.
The five-year-old was apparently playing in the pool on Monday night when he saw a toy in the drain. He dove under the water to retrieve it and got stuck.
TMZ reports that his aunt jumped in to rescue him but couldn’t get his hand out. A maid was also unable to get him out. Finally, two male employees working in the house came out and were able to free the boy.
The child, who is the son of Usher and his ex-wife Tameka Foster, was taken to the hospital where he is expected to make a full recovery.
We are SO thankful that this story has a happy ending, but it also serves an important reminder to parents everywhere that you can’t be too careful when it comes to kids and water.
Here are some water safety tips from PoolSafely.gov:
- Never leave a child unattended in a pool or spa and always watch your child when he or she is in or near water
- Teach children basic water safety tips
- Keep children away from pool drains, pipes and other openings to avoid entrapments
- Have a telephone close by when you or your family is using a pool or spa
- If a child is missing, look for him or her in the pool or spa first
- Share safety instructions with family, friends and neighbors
- Learn to perform CPR on children and adults, and update those skills regularly
- Understand the basics of life-saving so that you can assist in a pool emergency