Mother's Day Maple Bacon Muffinsby The Sugar Mommas
Are you looking for something unique to surprise Mom with this Sunday? Show your love with a batch of Maple Bacon Muffins, in bed, of course.
Mom can start her glorious day snuggled in PJ’s, the comforter, and the savory sweet aroma of these delicious treats. Start your pan sizzling and see what happens…
Maple Bacon Muffins
- 6 slices cooked* maple bacon (we use Farmer John’s) Note: After frying, reserve the drippings in a container and place in the refrigerator to solidify - approximately 30 minutes.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 tablespoon of solidified maple bacon drippings
- 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup whole milk
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 12 cup muffin baking sheet with decorative liners. Crush four of the bacon slices to use in the batter. Reserve two pieces of bacon for décor on finished muffins.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. Place the butter and the bacon drippings in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until combined.
Add the brown sugar and maple syrup and combine. Add the egg and continue to mix until light and creamy. Reduce the speed to low and add half the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Add the milk and mix until the dry ingredients are moistened. Add in the remainder of the dry ingredients and mix again until just combined.
Fold in the bacon bits. Use a tablespoon or a small cookie scoop to place of dollop of batter into each muffin cup. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Place the muffins on a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes.
For the frosting:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon Mexican vanilla extract
Place the butter and maple syrup in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until creamy. Add the sugar, a few tablespoons at a time, and mix until you have a smooth consistency. Continue until you have used the remaining sugar. Add the vanilla and beat until creamy. Use a knife or angled spatula to frost the muffins. Top with the reserved bacon. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
• Carpool Crunch: Skip the frying pan and place the bacon on a microwave safe dish. Cook on high for 2 minutes and 30 seconds or until bacon is crisp, but not burnt. Set the bacon aside on a paper towel to cool. Reserve the drippings as above.
• Sass It Up: Use dark brown sugar for a sweeter treat. Add in a 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder for a surprising kick! Don’t be afraid to get creative - this is an avant-garde treat.
Happy Mother's Day!
Kimberly “Momma” Reiner & Jenna Sanz-Agero, The Sugar Mommas
Follow us on:
"Sugar, Sugar: Every Recipe Has a Story" is available on Amazon.com (Andrews McMeel Publishing, October 26, 2011). Amazon.com: Sugar, Sugar: Every Recipe Has a Story (9781449403584): Kimberly "Momma" Reiner, Jenna Sanz-Agero: Books