- At Home
Let’s face it: pregnancy is not easy. Between being so tired it hurts to morning sickness so bad it can require hospitalization (like Catherine the Dutchess of York is currently experiencing), pregnancy is an experience.
So what if there was a way to make the experience better?
No, I am not talking about hiring a surrogate, but a comprehensive wellness plan that will get you feeling more vibrant, having more energy and feeling that inner mama glow that we all dream about experiencing while pregnant.
Latham Thomas has just the plan for you in her Hip Guide to Your Abundant Pregnancy called Mama Glow. In this book, Latham walks you through each stage of pregnancy as your own personal “glow pilot,” sharing practical advice and step-by-step actions to make your journey a more joyful and vibrant experience.
So what are the building blocks to a successful pregnancy?
1. Preconception detoxification (paying attention to your diet, eliminating toxic habits, and incorporating yoga and contemplative practices to get you on track for an awesome pregnancy).
2. A healthy plant based diet of whole foods with a focus on “glow foods” for optimal wellness.
3. Yoga or other dynamic movement supporting your joints, muscles, and the needs of your changing body.
4. Mindfulness practice including journaling and meditation as well as affirmation practice, which helps us to develop coping tools that are helpful in our birth and motherhood.
5. Glow time - Taking personal time to focus on you. That’s right…be selfish, takes baths, get massages, get your hair blown out and your nails done. Relaxing and decompressing helps reduce stress, and putting yourself first is one of the most important things you can learn while pregnant.
Now that you know the keys to a successful pregnancy, it’s time to address one of the most illuminating topics that Latham discusses in Mama Glow. She points out that pregnancy is not just a “medical condition” and it is more than bringing a human being into this world. It’s not a competition, who can stay the skinniest, look the prettiest with a bump or do the most Kegel exercises.
It’s not about denying things to yourself or setting unrealistic goals. Nor is it about “being the same old you” and doing all of the same things “you always did.” There is no gold medal waiting for you when you deliver the baby. Rather, pregnancy is about being open to change, about softening and allowing oneself to surrender to the forces at work within you.
Pregnancy presents us with an amazing opportunity to become conscious on many levels and brings us to a new place spiritually. Embrace the changes and go along for the ride. And take Mama Glow as your guide. Trust me, you won’t regret it!
Latham Thomas will be in Los Angeles this Friday evening for Club MomMe’s Mama Glow Mom-to-Be Night Out during Montana Avenue’s Holiday Stroll at Classic Kids Photography. Join them for an amazing night and get your glow on!