- At Home
Whether you’re having a nice sit-down breakfast with your family or need a quick on-the-go breakfast for you and the kids as you rush them out the door to camp, these quinoa breakfast bars are perfect!
They're sure to keep all of you energized throughout the day. Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) has a low glycemic index and high complex carb content so it fuels and stabilizes blood sugar levels so you don’t crash. They also contains magnesium, a slew of B vitamins, and protein. That’s right, quinoa is great for you, and we are huge fans!
Did we mention these bars are delicious AND vegan?! Children love them! Similar bars can be purchased pre-made at Whole Foods, but for a version you can prepare at home, here’s the recipe:
Quinoa Breakfast Bars
(makes 12 bars, adapted from Whole Foods recipe)
1) Put quinoa in a saucepan, add water, and cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
2) Combine coconut milk, egg replacer, and flax seeds in a bowl and stir.
3) Preheat oven to 325F, and place a piece of parchment paper in a 9 by 13 pan.
4) Combine the quinoa and coconut milk mixture until fully mixed. Add all remaining ingredients
5) Put the mixture into the pan, press firmly. Put the pan back in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
6) Allow the bars to cool for 20 minutes in the pan and then another 40 minutes out of the pan. Then cut to make the bars into 12 pieces.
Nutrition Facts: 193 calories, 6g fat, 4g protein, 30g carbohydrates
What are your favorite breakfasts? Omelets? Toast? Pancakes? Do you have any energy twists you put on your breakfast?