If your kids are like most, they love sweet treats. As a mom, you want to make them happy, but know better than to give in to every wish they have or they’ll end up bouncing through the roof on a sugar high and skipping their nutrient-rich meals.
As a mom and registered dietitians ourselves, we certainly relate; we’re always looking for healthy, yet delicious treats that feel like a real splurge and are great for both kids and adults. That’s why we love this recipe!
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Ingredients (Makes 2 dozen mini muffins)
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar (http://nutritiontwins.com/blog/706-apply-bran-muffins) or use ½ scant cup sugar if you don’t have coconut palm sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup vanilla soy milk
- 1 cup mashed banana
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Line 24 small muffin cups with small cupcake liners.
3. Mix whole wheat flour, quinoa flakes, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and chocolate chips together in a bowl.
4. In the center, make a well.
5. Whisk eggs in a separate bowl. Combine applesauce, soy milk, and banana and stir into eggs. Pour into dry ingredients; stir just to moisten. Batter will be lumpy.
6. Pour batter into small muffin cups – fill ¾ of the muffin cup.
7. Bake for approximately 16 to 18 minutes.
8. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving and Enjoy!
What’s a great new way you have incorporated chocolate chips into a recipe?
Makes 24 servings: Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 1 muffin: 110 calories, 2 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g protein, 9 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 59 mg sodium