Playoff Season Cheat Sheet for Momsby Beth Pocalyko
When driving up to New York last week, I was talking to my husband about who is left in the playoffs for the NHL. He was kind of shocked and asked “Since when do you like hockey?” I really don’t know one thing about the rules of hockey and can only name a few hockey players but when any sport enters the playoffs, I get excited to watch, and jump on the bandwagon of any Philly sport that is still playing!!
With basketball playoffs just starting, and hockey playoffs getting into the second round, I thought I would share what I have learned about what to expect in the games. I feel like the playoffs are like any election, or finale of a television show - everyone should know a little bit about the players involved. Even if your not a huge hockey or basketball fan the energy surrounding sports playoffs is so exciting, when it’s over it leaves you wanting more!!
Let’s start with hockey.
Round 2 started over the weekend - here are the match-ups:
- Los Angeles Kings vs. St. Louis Blues
- Nashville Predators vs. Phoenix Coyotes
- Washington Capitals vs. New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers vs. New Jersey Devils
I know very little about hockey, so believe me when I say playoff hockey is really exciting!! If your husband, boyfriend, or son is watching hockey watch with them! Sudden death overtime in hockey playoffs (whoever scores first, wins) makes the playoffs that much more exciting. With playoffs, the winning teams from each round are one step closer to the Stanley Cup - which FYI is the hardest championship to win in all of professional sports!
The only thing about NBA Playoffs that frustrates me - it's just so long! Playoff games start the end of April, and sometimes won’t end until Father’s Day in June!! With eight teams from each of two conferences - well, that is why the playoffs take so long. Here is who made the playoffs this season:
- Chicago Bulls vs. Philadelphia 76ers - Key player for the Bulls Derrick Rose left the first game injured after scoring 23 points to help the Bulls win the first game against the 76ers.
- Miami Heat vs. New York Knicks - LeBron James and the Heat are all about winning another championship.
- Indiana Pacers vs. Orlando Magic
- Boston Celtics vs. Atlanta Hawks
- San Antiono Spurs vs. Utah Jazz - The Spurs lost last year in first round.
- Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Dallas Mavericks
- Los Angeles Lakers vs. Denver Nuggets
- Memphis Grizzlies vs. Los Angeles Clippers
Hope this helps you get a better idea of what's happening in the world of sports! Happy Playoffs!