Amazing Acai Berry Muffin Recipeby The Nutrition Twins
International Families Day is this week! And if you're like us, you want to do anything you can to show your family you love them. So why not make these delicious, energy-revving, high-fiber acai berry muffins for your family to celebrate the day?
The acai berry is known for its potent antioxidants - it’s flavonoids and anthocyanins - which help you to defend your body from life stressors, giving you more energy to spend on doing the things you want to do.
These muffins are also high in fiber and protein as they contain flax seeds and whey protein to keep energy levels stable so you won’t experience sugar crashes and the moodiness that goes along with it--and neither will anyone in your family.
They will sustain you throughout long days and are so tasty even kids will love them!
Acai Muffin Recipe
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup flax seeds (ground)
- 1/2 cup vanilla whey protein powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup plain low fat yogurt
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 1/2 cup soy milk (or regular dairy milk)
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup of acai berries (fresh)
1) Preheat oven to 175 C. Grease a standard 12 muffin tray.
2) Combine the flour, flax seeds salt, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt in a bowl.
3) In a separate bowl, place vegetable oil, egg, milk, yogurt, and agave syrup in a bowl and mix them.
4) Combine the contents of both bowls and mix them together until even. Fold in the acai berries.
5) Fill the muffin tray with the mixture to the top.
6) Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done. Let cool for 5 minutes.
You can add in variations like other berries as well. You can also incorporate acai berries into pancakes and smoothies. If you want to get really creative you can use the acai berry powder and make ice cream, chocolate, and even cocktails!
Have you ever baked with acai berries? What types of healthier treats do you like to make for your families? Whole wheat waffles? Bran cookies?