Let's Craft: Make Drink Coasters with Your Kids
by Jessie Jane
Let's Craft is a special feature full of great crafts, inspiration and DIY projects that are perfect for any Modern Mom!
This project comes from Jessie Jane, the founder of Lilyshop:
"It's fun for the kids and something that you can keep forever!"
This is the perfect craft for exercising your child's creativity and imagination while getting an end product that will protect your coffee table and last for years. Jessie even says, "When your kids are older, you could give them their coasters."
- Square canvases, the size of a coaster (i.e. 4"x4")
- Hot glue gun
- Acrylic paint (Note: Choose colors that match the room!)
- Paint brushes
- Permanent marker
- Triple thick clear varnish
1. Lay out a tarp or old table cloth for the kids to paint on. Give each of them a coaster, paintbrushes, and paint.
2. Let them paint the coaster however they choose. Rest easy that since they are using the colors of your living room, they will look more like art than a kids' craft.
3. Cut a piece of felt the same size as the canvas. Turn over the canvas and hot glue the felt to the bottom. This will protect the table from scratches.
4. Don't forget to have your kids sign and date the coasters. This is a great craft to do once a year so you can see your child's skills improve each year.
5. Once the paint is totally dry, apply a coat of clear varnish. This will make your coasters waterproof and that way you can keep them for years to come!
Want to see Jessie take you through this craft step by step? Check out the video below:
Planning to try this at home? We'd love to see how it turns out! Send us photos of your crafty efforts, and we'll add them to our photo gallery!
New Tra-Dish: Mini Pizza Pot Pies
Would Your Child Pass This Simple Self-Control Test?
DIY Thursday: Canvas Block Print Storage Bins
What Every Breastfeeding Mom Should Know
The Small Things That Mean The Most...
5 Things Parents of Preemies Should Know
Spicy Quinoa Chickpea Patties (Quinoa Falafel)
How Young is Too Young for Facebook?
10 Spring Loves And A New Spring Coffee Blend From Starbucks You'll Love Too!
Mommy Moments: It's All About the Little Things
5 Fun Family Earth Day Activities
11 Tips For Stay-At-Home Moms Who Want To Go Back To Work
7 Mistakes Parents Make When Kids Wet The Bed
Gluten-Free Zucchini Patties
My Daughter Isn't Who I Thought She Was
Buffalo Egg Salad Sliders