- At Home
After her water broke at 18 weeks, one Texas mother found herself fighting for the right to stay pregnant, despite doctors and hospital staff who tried to talk her out of her decision.
Diana Stone has been chronicling her pregnancy on Babble’s “Being Pregnant” as well as on her personal blog, "Hormonal Imbalances." She and her husband Sam are already the parents of a little girl named Bella and are expecting twins.
Last Friday, Diana's water broke. The twins were at least six weeks away from viability, with underdeveloped organs and lungs. But because of the risk of infection, which could endanger her own life, doctors advised her to induce labor and terminate her pregnancy.
After careful consideration, the Stones made a difficult decision. There was a small chance that if Diana's leak sealed and she was able to keep her babies in her belly for at least six more weeks, they might live.
"We changed our minds. We chose not to induce. I can’t make a decision like this when they’re alive. I’m going to fight & try & give my all - and if God chooses to take them he will in his time and I’ll know I did my very best to hold on. It’s all I can do."
Apparently, the hospital did not support her choice. Stone shared appalling details about her treatment at the University Medical Center in El Paso, where doctors refused to offer her a bedpan, insert an IV drip, or tilt her bed - all common practice in cases like hers.
"Omg. Shaking I’m so angry. Was woken up by an MD who told me basically I’m an idiot taking up an expensive hospital bed and need to go home," she tweeted.
The story sparked an outpouring of support, and eventually a patient advocate stepped in. Diana is now on strict bed rest as she tries to save her twins.
Here's what she shared about the experience:
"We almost lost our twins 72 hours ago. At any time things could change. I realize this. There are massive risks, huge hurdles to overcome. And we may not.
But that’s ok.
Our choice to fight and not induce at 18.5 weeks or any other time (unless I am in imminent danger or go into labor) is just that - a choice. And for the past 3 days, we continually had to fight for that choice. Over and over, shift after shift. Dr. after Dr. It was so hard to keep our spirits up only to be told every few hours how slim our chances are. We knew - but honestly we made a choice and wanted to stand firm in our decision.
Unless I was sick. Unless the babies died. Unless I went into labor. We wanted to fight for them. It’s all I can do. I have to.
Deep down, this isn’t about pro life or pro choice. Not really, although I know where I stand. But I also stand for every woman that walks in the doors of a hospital to have the SAME rights and treatment we expected. Regardless of what her decision is. To be treated as a valuable patient, to be cared for and talked to as a person with rights."
What would you do in Diana's position? Was there ever a time when you had to fight for your family?