Been to Chuck E. Cheese's lately? If your child brought home a light-up ring or star glasses, be careful. If these plastic toys are crushed or pulled apart, the casing can break into small pieces and expose the batteries, which if swallowed can cause damage to the stomach, intestine, esophagus or nasal mucus membrane. Two incidents have been reported.
Light-Up Rings – The rings were part of a promotional product offering or during parent-teacher association conventions. The ring measures 1 1/8 inches across and is made of plastic with a black elastic band. The ring comes in several colors – blue, green, purple, yellow, and pink. The back of the ring is fastened either with screws or glue.
Star Glasses – The glasses were part of a birthday package. The glasses measure about 5 1/2 inches across by 2 1/2 inches tall and are made of red translucent plastic and have the words Chuck E. Cheese's painted on the side.
Sold at: Chuck E Cheese's Restaurants from April 2009 through June 2010 (Light-up Rings) and April through August 2010 (Star Glasses).