Steven Lake and Kristin Confer are the PhDs of hair. They bring over 30 years of experience, education, and teaching to the hair industry.
Their passion and insight set this Perfect Hair Duo up for success in creating, recreating, and sharing their vision and creativity behind the chair and on set.
Week 5: How to get Brooke Burke’s DWTS glam look from THIS week’s show!
Every week on Dancing with the Stars, Brooke Burke goes from “Mom” to “Glam!” Here are some tips to help our modern moms recreate these looks at home:
1. On towel dried hair apply a volumizing spray, gel or mousse from scalp to ends.
2. Using a large round brush, blowdry your hair completely.
3. Separate the hair into two sections – make a headband section from ear to ear so that you’ve created a front and back section.
4. Separate the front section into three sub-sections.
a. Make two sections on each side from the temple to the back of the ear.
b. The top remaining section becomes the third section.
5. Flat iron the back section.
6. Unclip the two side sections at the temple and brush upward and back to the top of your crown, creating a small high pony with the two sections. Secure with a snag-free band.
7. Take a horizontal section directly in front of the pony. Tease the hair at the base and push back. Work forward toward your front hairline, teasing each section as you go.
8. Spray teased sections with a brushable hair spray. Using your Mason Pearson brush, delicately begin to smooth the hair up and back over the ponytail, covering the actual horizontal sections on the sides, creating a pompador like shape.
9. Once your desired shape is achieved, secure the ends of the teased top section just below the high pony band in an “X” formation using bobby pins.
10. Spray entire head with a light brushable spray.
11. Using a Mason Pearson brush for the final finish, delicately smooth hair to create a uniform shape, hiding the pony band and the bobby pins.
12. Finish by spraying the ends of the flat ironed hair with a spray shine.
——– Extra Tips
- After securing the ponytail on top of the head, smooth the sides using a working hairspray and a Mason Pearson Brush, getting them as smooth as possible.
- Take small 1/4″ horizontal sections when teasing the top.
- For a more dramatic effect, use clip in extensions in the back to add length.
PhD wants to know, “What is YOUR favorite look so far of the season?”