The following post is in partnership with the California Olive Committee.
Summer is in full swing, which means swimming, sun and nonstop eats! While everyone loves a good burger, hot dog and guac and chips, why not shake things up with an ingredient that has some serious star power? And we’re talking about dishes that leave everyone saying, “Wow, can I have the recipe?” Thanks to California olive farming families, we have you covered with quick and easy recipes that feature versatile and delicious California Ripe Olives.
Bacon Olive Appetizer
A Burreson Family Recipe
This appetizer is so easy to make and incredibly delicious and decadent. Everything is better with bacon, right?
1 ½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup California Ripe Olives, drained and coarsely chopped
½ cup mayonnaise
12 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
1 green onion, chopped
1 loaf French baguette or French bread, sliced ½-inch thick
- Stir together cheese, olives, mayonnaise, bacon and onion in a medium bowl.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet and broil for 1 minute or until golden brown.
- Spread olive mixture on toasted side of each bread slice and broil again for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
California Ripe Olives and Meyer Lemon Tapenade
An Inestroza Family Recipe
Transport your taste buds to the Mediterranean diet with this simple tapenade.
2 cans California Ripe Olives, drained
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
Zest from ¼ Meyer lemon
Pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor, and gently blend until slightly chunky.
- Let sit at least 2 hours.
- Enjoy atop baguette or crackers.
Ed’s Signature Sandwich
A Curiel Family Recipe
This spread is so beautiful your guests will be sure to photograph it before diving in!
6 tablespoons basil pesto
4 ciabatta rolls, split
4 ounces thinly sliced black forest or honey ham
4 ounces thinly sliced pancetta
4 ounces thinly sliced salami
4 slices Provolone cheese
1 (2.2-oz.) can sliced California Ripe Olives, drained
Fresh spinach leaves
Sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- Spread equal amounts of pesto onto the bottom of each roll half.
- Top with ham, pancetta, salami, cheese, olives, spinach and sun dried tomatoes; close sandwiches.
- Serve cold, or place on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.