Holidays are over and it’s the new year so it’s time to get in shape. It seems like rock hard abs are the gold standard, but they’re just so difficult to achieve. Doesn’t it feel like you can do a million crunches and still not see results?
Well, we’ve got the answer to your prayers. To help you get in shape for the season, Brooke Burke and her trainer – fitness expert Greg Joujon-Roche- have shared three great exercises that are designed to target your core and tone your tummy.
These three simple and effective work-out moves are perfect for moms who want to show off some killer abs!
1. With a hand weight in each hand, take the plank position.
2. Shift your weight to one arm, and draw back your free hand (holding the weight) to your chest. Keep your elbow in line with your body.
3. Shift your weight to the other arm and repeat Step 2. Remember to hold in your stomach – do three sets of 10 reps each.
*If this is too challenging, try it without the weights. If it isn’t challenging enough, do more reps per set.
Cheek to Cheek
1. Take the plank position with your elbows on the ground. Clasp your hands. Maintain a strong, flat back, and keep your tummy tight.
2. Rotating through the waist, tap your hips one at a time on the floor. The goal is to feel the rotation in the oblique muscles. If you cannot reach the floor, focus on feeling the move through the ab muscles and the rotation of your hips.
3. Do three sets of 10 reps each.
1. Lie on your back. Raise your arms over your head. Lift your legs and bend the knees to 90 degrees. Raise your head off the floor, but do not strain your neck.
2. Extend one leg out so it is parallel to the floor, without lifting your back. Also, extend the arm on the same side so it points to the extended leg.
3. In one fluid motion, switch sides with a breath. Inhale on the left side, and exhale on the right side.
4. Make sure you are using your abs to charge the motion and maintain the lift of your head. Do three sets of 10 reps on each side.
Want to watch Brooke and Greg take you through each exercise and get extra tips and tricks? Check out the video below – and be sure to take a look at all the other great exercises on the ModernMom YouTube Channel.