With a baby on the way, you’re probably looking to save a little money, so you don’t want to spend your entire diaper budget on decorations for the baby shower.
Don’t fret! Jessie Jane, founder of Lilyshop, shared this simple and inexpensive way to make any baby shower look great. This project won’t put you in the red, and your guests will love it!
With just a few materials – that you probably already have in your kitchen – you can make a cute themed decorative garland for your shower – or any type of party you’re planning!
- 1 package of 200 white coffee filters (They need to be round coffee filters!)
- 1 cup of cold black coffee
- Food coloring (red, blue, or yellow based on the baby’s gender)
- Pie pans
- Large embroidery needle
1. Flatten the filters out in a stack.
2. Pour one cup of black coffee in one pie pan.
3. For other colors, use water and food coloring to achieve the right shade. Use more dye for a darker color. (Helpful Hint: If you can’t get the color you want through food coloring, you could also use acrylic paint mixed with water!)
4. Use stacks of 15 coffee filters at a time in the pan of dye. Wear protective gloves to prevent staining your hands.
5. Squeeze all the liquid out of the filters. They don’t have to sit in the dye long for the color to set in.
6. Separate the filters on a baking sheet, and bake at 225 F for 5 minutes to dry. You can also let them air dry; it takes a little longer.
7. Use any type of string you want and a large needle to thread the filters.
8. Tie a knot on both ends of your desired length.
9. Scrunch a couple filters at a time into a ball and move them down the string. When they’re balled up they take up more room and create more volume for your garland.
(Helpful hint: Be careful when you’re scrunching not to rip the filters!)
Voila! You’re done!
Want to see Jessie take you through this craft step by step? Check out the video below:
Planning to try this at home? We’d love to see how it turns out! Send us photos of your crafty efforts, and we’ll add them to our photo gallery!
Let’s Craft is a special feature full of great crafts, inspiration and DIY projects that are perfect for any Modern Mom!