We love to entertain and serve delicious food during the cocktail hour that will set the tone for a classy soiree. At the same time, we know the challenge of keeping kids content at the same event so the adults can enjoy themselves! Luckily, we have some great ideas to help you to do both! And perhaps best of all (or at least just as good!), they won’t set back your plans to get in shape after the holidays.
- To start your appetizers off on the right foot—think of pairing up foods that keep calories in check. Since it’s easy to overindulge on holiday treats that are full of empty calories instead, try mixing fruit or vegetables with lower calorie nuts and cocktail pairings.
- Fruits like apples and oranges are perfect for the season and they add a delicious, low-calorie, fiber-filled sweetness to any appetizer.
- Choose wine spritzers or wine as opposed to mixed drinks that can set you back hundreds of calories per drink
- In-shell pistachios are a weight-sensible option amidst the higher-calorie holiday fare – they’re one of the lowest calorie, lowest fat snack nuts with six grams of protein and heart-healthy fats, which may help guests feel full longer so they’re satisfied, not stuffed.
Try these easy-to-assemble appetizers this holiday season to wow your guests:
1) Serve your guests a crunchy and creamy option with this:
Crunchy veggie crudité + Creamy Red Pepper Hummus (recipe below)
Red Pepper Hummus Recipe
½ 15 oz. can of reduced sodium chickpeas (rinsed)
1 ½ medium-sized red bell pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 T. lemon juice
2 T. tahini
Place all ingredients in blender or food processor. While blending, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time into the blender until the consistency of hummus is smooth but not too liquidy.
Serve with fresh veggies and/or homemade pita chips! Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts: Serves: 6, Serving Size: 1/4 cup; Calories Per Serving: 73; Total Fat: 3g; Protein: 3g; Carbohydrate: 10g; Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 2g; Sodium: 39mg
2)Indulge with this guilt-free sweet and savory pairing:
In-shell Pistachios + Orange Slices + Dark Chocolate Chunks + Sparkling Wine (or Sparkling Apple Cider for the kids!)
3) Keep the kids busy throughout the holidays with this festive kid-friendly treat that they can help make:
In-shell pistachios + Celery + Cream Cheese + Raspberries
Directions to keep the kids busy and having fun ;):
1. Wash the raspberries and set in a bowl. Let kids wash the celery and crack open the pistachios.
2. Fill the celery with cream cheese and let kids decorate their own celery logs. This is a festive and dressed up version of “Frogs on a Log”
The Nutrition Twins work with Wonderful pistachios to help people make healthier decisions.