We partnered with Artisan Books to support their new cookbook, THE HAVEN’S KITCHEN COOKING SCHOOL by Alison Cayne. This is a must-own, must-read book full of useful information for anyone who is learning to cook or wants to hone their skills. This book is written in a super easy to understand voice with directions that even a novice cook can follow. The best part is that each key lesson is taught through a collection of recipes so you get real hands on learning which truly helps you master the skills! These fundamental building blocks for cooking are:
- How to Get Over Your Fear of Frying (I admit it, I was afraid)
- How to Pick & Cut Herbs (The tricks really work!)
- How to Make Stock (Didn’t try this yet, but now I know how!)
- How to Stock Your Refrigerator & Pantry (Super useful)
- How to Boil Eggs (You’d be surprised!)
- How to Make an Omelet (Who knew I was doing it wrong?)
- How to Make Dressing (The carrot-ginger dressing is unbelievable)
- How to Filet a Cooked Fish (Didn’t try this but good info)
- How to Roast Garlic (Delicious)
- How to Make & Store Sauces (Useful info)
- How to Assemble a Galette (I know, right?)
- Knife Cuts: Slice, Dice, Julienne, Oblique, Brunoise, Chiffonade, Supreme (I had no idea there were so many)
- How to Cook Vegetables: Blanche, Braise, Sautée, Roast & Grill (YES, my favorite!)
- How to Cook Proteins: Poach, Roast, Steam, Broil, & Stew (So many options!)
I’ve never taken a cooking class, but reading this book really makes you feel like you are there, in one of the classes at the cooking school in New York City. Did I mention there are 100 delicious recipes? YUM.
We want you to learn the fundamentals of cooking (and have some money to buy the ingredients) so we are giving away:
One (1) winner receives:
- The Haven’s Kitchen Cooking School (deliciously educational!)
- plus a $100 Visa gift card to stock the kitchen with the essentials!
Giveaway open to US addresses only.
Prizing and samples provided by Artisan Books.
Tell us in the comment section below:
Which of these lessons would you be most interested in learning about?