The flowers are blooming, the sun is shining and there is a feeling of fun in the air. Everyone at this time of year is beginning to think about barbecues and picnics – except for the allergy suffer who is thinking about itchy eyes, a stuffy nose, and the embarrassing constant sneezing.
Over the counter and prescription medications often work well for allergy suffers but although most are safe for breastfeeding moms, some moms feel a decrease in breast milk because allergy medications can dry up secretions. But don’t despair, there are other options available!
Homeopathy is the easiest “alternative care” to begin with, because it is easy to administer and people love the taste of the little white pellets. Homeopathy can be work wonderfully, and actually seem like a miracle cure, if you find the correct remedy. The problem is that there are over 3,500 remedies and finding the correct one is sometimes difficult, but patience and persistence usually pay off.
The good news is that once you find the correct remedy for yourself you can use it from season to season. With homeopathy, we match the specific symptoms the individual sufferer is having, to a specific homeopathic remedy. Since each person’s allergy symptoms will be different, each person will require another homeopathic remedy. Three moms with the same “‘rag-weed” allergy may all have different symptoms.
The dosage for adults is three pellets (homeopathic pellets should be dissolved either under the tongue). It is suggested to administer the remedy 3-4 times daily, until symptoms have passed. Once the symptoms have passed, you can discontinue the remedy. If symptoms reappear just begin taking the remedy again till symptoms subside. Note: It is important to not eat or drink for 5 minutes before and 5 minutes after taking the remedy. If you don’t see results after the first day, go onto the next homeopathic remedy.
Some suggested remedies according to presenting symptoms are:
- Allium cepa 30c – For constantly tearing eyes and lots of sneezing with a profuse watery discharge.
- Eurphrasia 30c – When eyes are the most affected area and are red, itchy and burning. The nose may also be stuffy, but not dripping much.
- Sabadilla 30c – For a stuffy nose that also drips, and constant sneezing in spells. The eyes are drippy. It’s also used when the allergy can be felt in the lungs.
- Arundo 30c – For an itchy sensation in the back of the mouth by the soft palate, and inside the nose. The nose is very stuffy.
- Wyethia 30c – For itching in the nose, throat and especially the palate, and when there is tremendous itching in the ears. There is dryness of mouth and throat.
Have you ever treated allergy symptoms with homeopathic remedies?