Celebrity Baby Name Trendsby ModernMom Staff
When it comes time to name their babies, many celebrities veer away from choices like Tom or Jane and choose more creative and original monikers for their little bundles of joy.
What are some of the hottest baby name trends among the rich and famous? Check out a few recent ones below:
First off, we're loving the nature-inspired name trend. It's not your usual flowery names like Rose, Daisy, or Violet either (although, all three are beautiful and classic).
- Maple Sylvie Bateman, born February 2012 to Jason Bateman and Amanda Anka (Paul Anka's daughter).
- Blue Ivy Carter, born January 2012 to Beyonce and Jay-Z. Fun fact: the name Ivy is actually a phonetic interpretation of the Roman Numeral for 4, which is Beyonce and Jay-Z's lucky number (notice how there are 4 letters in Blue? That's on purpose).
- Poppy James Gavigan, born June 2012 to Jessica Capshaw and Christopher Gavigan.
- Sky Cole Lauren, born July 2012 to Elizabeth Berkley and Greg Lauren.
Old Fashioned Names
The second trend that excites us is the return to old-fashioned names. Celebs aren't shying away from the classics, and it's a great thing!
- Hattie Margaret McDermott, born October 2011, to Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott.
- Adalaide Marie Hope Kelley, born April 2011 to adoptive parents Katherine Heigl and Josh Kelley.
- Georgia Geraldine Dane, born December 2011 to Rebecca Gayheart and Eric Dane.
- Pearl Clementine Osbourne, born April 2012 to Jack Osbourne and Lisa Stelly
- Etta Jones Daly, born September 2012 to Carson Daly and Siri Pinter.
Also trending are location-inspired baby names. The classics like London and Paris are still lovable but we're definitely enjoying these as well.
- India Rose Hemsworth, born May 2012, to Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky.
- Penelope Scotland Disick, born July 2012 to Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick.
- Dallas Xavier Barrino, born December 2011 to Fantasia Barrino.
- Tennessee James Toth, born September 2012 to Reese Witherspoon and Jim Toth.
The final trend, and the most avant garde (at least as far as baby names go), is the creative name category. These are the baby names of the last year that have made us cock our heads a little. We hope these kids can live up to their unique names.
- Marlowe Ottoline Layng Sturridge, born July 2012 to Sienna Miller and Tom Sturridge.
- Astala Dylan Willow Cohen-Geldof, born April 2012 to Peaches Geldof and Thomas Cohen.
- Emet Kuli Loeb Hershkovitz, born June 2012, to Lisa Loeb and Roey Hershkovitz.
- Bastian Kick Sisto, born March 2012 to Jeremy Sisto and Addie Lane. (This family has a history of creative naming. Bastian's big sister is named Charlie Ballerina).
- Exton Elias Downey, born February 2012 to Robert Downey Jr. and Susan Downey.
- Spike Myers, born September 2011 to Mike Myers and Kelly Tisdale.
Do your kids have unique names? Please share!