Many people carry their stress in their necks. After a long day of working and dealing with stressful occurrences, your neck may feel stiff and tired. Instead of taking some over-the-counter pain relievers, try some stretches instead. They will relieve not just the pain but the stress as well.
Chin To Chest Stretch
1) Slowly bring your head forward while lowering your chin down to your chest. To increase the stretch, press down gently on the back of your head with your hand.
2) When you begin feeling the stretch in the back of your neck, stop.
3) Hold the stretch for at least 20 seconds.
4) Bring your head back to the beginning position.
5) Repeat steps until you have completed the stretch 5 additional times.
Hand Assisted Eyes to the Sky
1) While seated or standing gently lean your head backwards as if looking up at the sky.
2) With your hand, apply a gentle pressure to the top of your head (near your forehead) to intensify the stretch.
3) Hold this stretch for 20 seconds before returning to the starting position.
Rotation Side to Side
1) Gently turn your head to the right until you can see behind your right shoulder.
2) When you can feel the muscles on the left side of your neck stretching, stop.
3) Hold the stretch for 20 seconds.
4) Move back into the beginning position with your neck and head facing forward.
5) Repeat the stretch five additional times.
6) Now, turn your head to the other side until you can see behind that shoulder.
7) Again, stop when you can feel the muscles on the opposite side of your neck stretching.
8) Hold the stretch for 20 seconds.
9) Return to beginning position.
10) Repeat on this side five additional times.