My oldest daughters have officially entered into the dating age. I have dreaded this time, but knew that sooner or later it was coming.
I have given them all kinds of advice and a long list of my expectations and rules regarding them dating. I have often joked with them that any boy who takes them out is going to have to sign a contract understanding the rules before they take the first step out of the door.
It only took one boy coming to the door for me to realize that I have nothing to worry about. My youngest daughters ages 8 and 10 have taken on the roll of making the rules and are happy to share them with any young man who comes knocking.
Imagine my surprise and I am sure the young man’s surprise as we were standing in the front yard for introductions and suddenly Elspeth and Moira walk out the front door with serious looks upon their faces. Their expressions were so serious that for a moment I was even a little nervous that maybe I had done something wrong. Without saying a word or cracking a smile, they hand the young man two sheets of paper and a pen.
These two young girls decided that if a boy is going to take out one of their big sisters, they would come up with some rules of their own. I had no idea that they had been working on this and was quite impressed with what they came up with. The young man was a really good sport and read the rules and contract aloud:
“Rules for Dating Our Sisters”
(and we suggest you memorize each one…there might be a pop quiz at some point) – by Elspeth and Moira Newsome
1. Do not hurt her feelings.
2. Do not be a jerk to her.
3. Remember that since she is a girl she gets to be the boss of you.
4. Respect her and her family (that means ALL of us).
5. If you boss her around or hurt her, you will have to answer to all of us and our Uncle Dino who thinks he is in the mob.
6. Be a gentleman but do not be too gentlemanly because then you will annoy us.
7. Don’t call her honey or any mushy nickname in our presence or we might throw-up on you.
8. Don’t use moves on her that Fred Flintstone used on Wilma or our little brother Finn (also known as Bam-Bam) will chase you with his bat.
9. Don’t be an idiot (if that’s possible since you are a guy)
Contract to Date our Sister:
I, Loughlin or Aidan’s “friend”, promise not to hurt her or get too close to her. I know that if I do this I will wake-up in Cuba dressed as a banana. If you break this promise, Loughlin and Aidan’s lawyers (their sisters Moira and Ellie) will do BAD, BAD things to you!
Please note our serious faces and sign the contract with this purple coloring crayon neatly so we can read your full name.
The young man smiled when he finished and told them he understood the rules and signed the contract. The girls have it hanging on their door and I am happy to say that this young man has returned to the house since then and everyone really likes him.I think I can be a little more laid back about this whole dating thing knowing that my kids are all looking out for each other.
Out of curiosity I asked Moira and Ellie if they had rules for a girl who wanted to date their brother. They ran up to their room and within seconds were back with the “rules.” Sorry Daly and Finn, looks like the dating rules are a little different for you!
“Rules for Dating our Brother”
1. Boss him around.
2. Make him buy you shoes.
3. Don’t kill him no matter how much of an idiot he is at times.