It’s your lucky day, ModernMoms! Here are some very helpful tips from renowned fitness and nutrition expert and famed celebrity trainer Harley Pasternak. Harley’s first book, 5-Factor Fitness, was a #1 top seller in its category at Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com and his second book, 5-Factor Diet, hit the New York Times Best Sellers list. He’s appeared on shows like Oprah, Dr Oz, The Tyra Banks Show, Access Hollywood, Extra, Rachael Ray and Next Top Model and is a frequent guest on The Today Show. Here’s what this fitness guru shared with us about leading a healthy lifestyle.
1) For moms that might not have time to hit the gym, what home-friendly exercises do you recommend?
As challenging as it is for moms to stay on top of everything, it’s essential they take the time to take care of themselves too. Almost all exercises in the 5-Factor program can be done at home with minimal or no equipment. Bottles of water are great substitutes for basic weights…
2) What is it like training celebrities like Lady Gaga, Jennifer Hudson and Robert Pattinson?
The most extraordinary thing about them is their determination. What you see in their performances translates into the discipline they have when training, but there’s a lot of laughter too!
3) Tell us about your book, “The 5 Factor World Diet”
THE 5-FACTOR WORLD DIET outlines an easy-to-follow diet and weight management program that combines the healthiest nutritional and lifestyle habits of the world’s 10 leanest and longest-living nations: Japan, Singapore, China, Sweden, France, Italy, Spain, South Korea, Greece and Israel. With each country, he outlines what their residents eat, how they prepare it and how they burn it. Pasternak then adapts more than 120 recipes to his popular 5-Factor technique, amplifying the fat-burning and health-boosting benefits through 5 weeks of menu recommendations.
“To be blunt, the United States has more fat people than any country on the planet for the simple reason that we take in more calories than we burn,” said Harley Pasternak. “In THE 5-FACTOR WORLD DIET, I don’t focus on what Americans are doing wrong, I outline how the rest of the world is living healthier lives through the right food and lifestyle choices. My main goal in writing this book is to show everyone just how easy it is to live healthier.”
4) What top 5 foods do you include in your diet to keep you healthy?
Every meal consists of a lean protein, 5-10 grams of fiber, a good carb, a healthy fat and an unsweetened beverage. I also recommend taking a daily multivitamin by Centrum.
5) Do we have to give up our guilty pleasures to get into shape?
When you follow the 5-Factor program, you have a free day every week. That’s the time to indulge! However, with time, the fitter you become, the less you crave it…
6) What’s your one personal secret to staying in shape?
There aren’t really any secrets. Everything in my 5-Factor program will get the results you want in a sustainable way. Stay the course!
7) What are your 5 tips for looking and feeling your best?
· Find 25 minutes or more to exercise 5 days a week.
· Stay hydrated!
· Eat 5 smaller meals a day (breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack and dinner) with all five essential ingredients.
· Get enough sleep to lose weight and rejuvenate. Sleep helps the body regulate our metabolism and hormones.
· Seek out the benefits of positive thinking to stay healthy. Positive thinking can boost a person’s immune system and will certainly make for a more fulfilling daily routine!
8) What is the most important thing a mom can do to stay in shape this summer?
Staying active with your kids is a part of the job, but try to make it fun for yourself too! Take your infants for a daily stroll or head to the park with older kids and find your own inner child!
9) How can a ModernMom get an opportunity to work-out with you?
People can text the word CENTRUM to 89800 to learn how to be entered for a chance to win a personal training session with me in LA.