After 28 years together, Shannon Tweed and Gene Simmons finally tied the knot over the weekend in an outdoor ceremony at the Beverly Hills Hotel. But how much do you know about the new Mrs. Simmons? For example, did you know that she grew up on a mink farm in Newfoundland?
So if you’re curious about the woman who managed to tame the legendary KISS rocker, here are five fun facts about Shannon Tweed:
1. She’s got some journalism experience. Tweed co-hosted the news segment of the weekly cable show “Playboy on the Air“
2. She stole Gene Simmons away from her (sort-of) sister-in-law. When they first met, Simmons told the LA Times, “I was at the time in a relationship with Diana Ross and fell for Shannon, told Diana about it.” But unbeknownst to him, Shannon’s sister Tracy was married to Chico Ross (Diana’s brother) at the time!
3. Her husband isn’t the only singer in the family. Shannon won the Miss Canada talent competition with her singing performance in 1978.
4. She wants more kids. “I would love to have another child of my own,” she said in 2010. “I’ve still got the eggs- I checked. I just need a little help from Gene.” She added, “If Gene would let me adopt, I would. I would have SO many and I wouldn’t adopt from India or China- there are so many kids right here. Right in this city. Right in this town. It breaks my heart.”
5. In 1989, Shannon starred in perhaps the best-titled movie in the history of film: Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death. She played Dr. Margo Hunt, “a feminist hired by the government to track down the Piranha Women living in the uncharted Avocado Jungle.”