I wanted to share a yummy recipe with you all that I make all the time. It is GREAT for flu season. It will replenish and boost your immune system. I have been playing around in my kitchen with some recipes that heal and feed the body (lots more recipes to come). Read the healing properties of this soup that I have broken down. You will be living on it like I do. Enjoy!
Spinach Soup Directions
Bring broth, onion, salt and potatoes to a boil, simmering until potatoes are soft. Remove from heat add spinach and garlic. In a saucepan mix butter and flour together and add to broth. Add white pepper. Blend and serve. So easy!
Healing Properties: SPINACH
Spinach treats nerve damage, helps prevent birth defects (from the high content of foliate) and protects against cell mutation. It contains calcium and magnesium, which help build strong bones and teeth and lowers blood pressure. Spinach is an alkaline food and is good for the lymphatic, urinary and digestive system. It also has a laxative effect and is great for easing constipation. Finally, it cleanses the body of toxins, is a blood builder, helps with night blindness and it is a diuretic.
Healing Properties: ONION
Onion lowers blood pressure and cholesterol. It is also a cure for the common cold.
Healing Properties: GARLIC
Garlic promotes circulation, is anti-viral , anti-fungal, gets rid of worms, bad bacteria and yeast and eliminates toxins from the body. It helps eliminate infections, protects from heart disease, lowers blood sugar (which is good for people with diabetes ) and is an immune system enhancer. It also removes heavy metals and is free-radical, anti aging agent and antioxidant .
Healing Properties: POTATO
Potatoes are high in vitamin C and potassium. They are strongly alkaline which helps maintain fluid balance, regulate blood pressure and heart function and helps to fight infection.
- Original recipe from the Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen
- 2 &1/2 bags of organic spinach
- 1 organic onion chopped
- 2 organic white potatoes chopped
- 4 cups of organic vegetable broth (or 2 cups of chicken broth and 2 cups of vegetable broth )
- 1 tablespoon of Himalayan sea salt
- 5 large cloves of organic garlic
- 2 tablespoons of Earth Balance butter spread or organic butter
- 3 tablespoons of organic brown rice flour
- 1&1/2 cups of almond or rice milk
- 1/2 cup of silk soy creamer (or organic milk and cream)
- 1/2 teaspoon or more of white pepper