The Step2 Push Around Buggy and Whisper Ride Buggy are ride on toys. They come in a variety of colors (orange, red, blue, pink, and green) and have a red Step2 Logo on the handle. According to the Consumer Product and Safety Commission, some units are a hazard. Step2 has issued a repair recall.
Approximately 2.5 million ride-ons are included in the recall.
The yellow pin that holds the handle to the base of the buggy can fall out causing the handle to detach from the buggy. The adult pushing the buggy will lose control. There have been 28 incidents of the handle detaching.
The model numbers included in the recall released by the CPSC are:
- 715700 – Push Around BuggyTM
- 792300 – Push Around BuggyTM
- 7923TA – Push Around BuggyTM
- 7923OR – Push Around BuggyTM (Orange)
- 796600 – Deluxe Push Around BuggyTM
- 7966TA – Deluxe Push Around BuggyTM
- 768400 – Whisper Ride BuggyTM
- 882900 – Whisper Ride (Green)
- 885700 – Whisper Ride BuggyTM(Pink)
They were sold between 1999 and 2009. According to the CPSC, consumers should inspect their Step2 Buggy. If it has a yellow knob where the handle attaches (on the back of the buggy), they should immediately stop using the buggy and contact Step2 to obtain a free repair kit.
Step2 can be reached at: 1-800-347-8372.