Flip through the pages of any high-gloss fashion magazine and you’ll see some great new cuts swinging from the heads of all the top models. But which styles are right for busy Modern Moms — multi-tasking women who need their tresses to look fabulous in five minutes – or less? We took our hair questions to Maurice Dadoun, the Creative Director of Frederic Fekkai Melrose Place in Los Angeles.
Modern Mom: We love celebumom Kate Moss’s bangs and Naomi Watts’ long, loose layers. This season, what other styles are low on upkeep, but high on style?
Maurice: THE ANGLED BOB. Victoria Beckham has
really influenced women in Los Angeles since she moved here. I have had many requests for a slightly softer angled bob, something similar to but not as severe as Posh’s.
And BANGS. Everyone is going for the fuller, blunt bangs similar to Katie Holmes. These bangs are versatile — you can wear them straight down or blown dried to the side. Charlize Theron and Liv Tyler are also wearing this new, fringed look.
Modern Mom: So many mothers are short on time, as they look after the kids, run the household, and manage their careers. Bad hair days are all too common. What’s a five-minute fix?
Maurice: Don’t panic. Here’s how to make the most
of a bad hair day! If you have wavy-to-curly hair, use a wave spray (Fekkai Coiff(tm) Oceanique Tousled Wave Spray is great). This will help you control your hair and minimize frizz. If you have heavy or straight tresses, use a glossing cream or spray (I use Fekkai Glossing Sheer Shine). This will revitalize your hair.
If your Bad Hair Days outnumber your Good Hair Days, be sure you are:
1. Shampooing your hair regularly
2. Blow drying your hair with care. Take a few extra minutes to make sure your hair is drying properly
3. Not overshampooing – this also makes your hair greasy
4. Getting your hair cut regularly. Sometimes hair that hasn’t been tended to and professionally cut for a few months just can’t hold a proper shape.
Modern Mom: Could you recommend a few simple hairstyles that allow busy moms to rev up their looks, with minimal fuss?
Maurice: Sure. Try one of the following:
- A low, sleek and clean ponytail. It’s easy and quick to style. First use a frizz-control product (I rely on Fekkai Coiff(tm) Défense Pre-Style Thermal/UV Protectant). Wet top layers of hair, and add a little gel, which will give you that sleek look. Brush tight into a low ponytail. Take a piece of hair and wrap around to cover band and hold in place with a bobby pin.
- Give your hair a quick blow dry to get body and movement. Use a lifting and texturizing spray (I opt for Fekkai Coiff(tm) Bouffant Lifting & Texturizing Spray Gel). Bend over forward and blow dry roots. This will give you volume and lift and revitalize your easy style
- Soft, loose waves. Just roll your hair in five hot curlers – use two on the top, two on the side and one in the back. Leave the curlers in for 20 minutes while you make the beds, or prepare your child’s school lunch. Then, remove curlers and lightly run fingers through. Spray lightly with a sheer hairspray (I use Fekkai Sheer Hold Hairspray). This will give you a styled look without the fuss.
Maurice Dadoun is the Creative Director of Frederic Fekkai Melrose Place. To find locations to buy Frederic Fekkai products, check out www.fredericfekkai.com