If you are on a quest to save more money like I am, knowing when to shop is a biggie! Here is a list that is important to know.
The best night to go out to dinner is Tuesday. Restaurants are the least crowded on Tuesdays. That’s why large chains offer specials, like “Kids Eat Free” or “Two-fer Tuesday.
Grocery Shopping Deals
The best day to go to the grocery store is Wednesday. Grocery stores consider Wednesday the first day of the sales week, so that’s when they usually discount the previous week’s goods. This means you can save as much as 75% on meat and poultry. Of course, some stores follow their own rules. So ask the produce and meat managers exactly when they do their markdowns – and do your shopping then.
- Frozen Food – March is nations frozen food month. Always great sales.
- Dairy – June is national dairy month. Not quite as big a deal as Frozen Food month.
- BBQ Products (ketchup, mustard, relish, salad dressings, napkins, etc.): Early in the summer. These companies want to fill your pantry so you don’t buy any competitors products all summer. Good time to stock up a years worth.
- Beverages (soda, beer, juice drinks, apple juice): All summer especially around holidays such as Memorial Day, Labor Day and July 4th. Also usually good prices on large size items (like 2 liter soda) during holiday sales in other months.
- Baking needs (flour, sugar, corn/vegetable oil, aluminum foil, etc): Thanksgiving and December Holidays. This is also a good time to stock up on holiday related items that you like to eat all year such as cranberries and canned yams.
- Italian products (ricotta, mozzarella, crushed tomatoes, olive oil): Christmas, Easter and Columbus Day. Holiday stockup goes for all ethnic products, such as Chinese products at Chinese New Years, Jewish products during Rosh Hashana and Passover, etc.
Clothing Store Deals
The best day to shop is a Thursday night. This is typically the first day of a sale. Also remember the six-week rule. If you see something you want at a big retailer like Old Navy, Banana Republic or Macy’s – look for it to be on sale about six weeks after it first appeared in the store. Now figuring out when it first appeared in the store is another matter!
Linens and towels
January/February and July/August (discontinued fall and spring merchandise)