If you’re dreaming of making a change to your life, consider thinking small instead of big. That’s right – small. Take little steps that give you confidence.
Do you know why the first page of the Boy Scouts manual demonstrates how to tie your shoelaces? That simple accomplishment sets the stage for bigger accomplishments down the road.
Here are several ways to change your life, increase your energy, boost your optimism, and renew your confidence right this minute:
1. Create a list of your most outstanding qualities and assets and tape it to the inside of your medicine cabinet. That way you can read it every morning while you’re brushing your teeth to pump you up for the day ahead.
2. Mention a movie you’ve seen, a book you’ve read, a friend that’s accomplished something she’s always dreamed about when someone asks you what you’re up to. Saying “not much” doesn’t give you a chance to dazzle people with your charm.
3. Always look swank. Lounging around in exercise clothes might be comfortable but it does absolutely zilch for your self-esteem. Now you will love spotting yourself in the mirror.
4. Instead of “getting dressed,” create an “ensemble” (great blouse or sweater, earrings, shoes and socks) that’s head-turning and exciting to wear.
5. Update your resume. Your resume should always be ready so you can move quickly if there’s an opportunity.
6. Smile. Initiate a hello. Put your cell phone (with your emails and text messages) away so you’re on the lookout for someone to connect with.
7. Listen to your voicemail message. Is it robotic? Make sure it’s as clever as you are and lets the listener knows they reached the right number. Do the same when leaving a voicemail message: Name, number, date of call. Speak slowwwwwwwwwwly.
8. Say yes instead of no. Have fun, throw caution to the wind, be silly and be fun to spend time with. Focus on the positives that make you feel as if you had an amazing day.
9. While doing the dishes, listen to your favorite song. Sing it out loud. Make it strong.
Only you can make the day glorious. Starting now, today, this minute – take a tip from the list and see if it makes a difference in your day. While the “big” sounds exciting, fabulous is always in the details. But those details sure pack a wallop!