Well, did you do it? Are you up 2 lbs up, 5 lbs up, or did your weight stay the same between Thanksgiving and today? We all grant ourselves some license to indulge during the holidays- I certainly do for myself – then usually we try to get back on track sometime in the second week of January. Let’s try getting back on track this week instead. Starting small with manageble changes is the most effective way to get back into any habit.
The sooner you help your body make the transition from the holiday revelries to a stricter healthy practice, the better. Here are some suggestions to get you started but not to overwhelm you.
1) Up your water intake- you should be somewhere between 50-70oz
2) Increase how much you are walking. Start walking a few times a week or extend your existing walk by 2 miles.
3) Next, look ahead on your calendar and plan out your fitness. Write it down like it is an appointment. Your fitness is not allowed to go in the “disposable plan” pile.
4) Make a promise to yourself that you will absolutely exercise when you say you will. Start your day with this.
5) Skip bread or have an open face sandwich for the next 2 weeks. Eat everything as a salad, i.e. turkey salad, tuna salad, roast-beef salad, etc…
Getting back into the swing of things is hard—I don’t even like it. Once you get there however, it’s always best if you can stay there.
Keep all of the lessons learned from last year with you (for better or for worse) and know that this next year is going to be great!!
So this week, drink some water while taking a walk and planning your next salad-Happy New Year!!!