Today (April 22) is Earth Day – an annual reminder to protect the environment and live “green.”
We all know the three Rs: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle, and today is the perfect opportunity to talk to your little ones about the importance of eco-friendly behavior.
By engaging your kids in environmentally-friendly activities early on, they can reap good habits of sustainable living as adults.
Here are some great ways to celebrate Earth Day:
1. Take a walk. Put away your car keys and try a different form of transportation. Walk or ride your bike to school, work or the grocery store. If you can’t do that, see if you can arrange a carpool or take public transportation.
2. Get your friends and family together for a community clean-up event! Everyone can pitch in to pick up litter and plant flowers and trees.
3. Cook an Earth Day dinner. Use organic and locally grown fruits and vegetables and talk to your kids about reducing your carbon footprint by buying local produce.
4. Turn off the lights. Plan a “No Electricity” night and go dark in your home for an evening. Light some candles and then play board games or hang out by candlelight. It’s a great way to relax and bond as a family while “unplugged.”
5. Make some super fun plastic lid monster magnets from repurposed juice and milk carton lids!