Stylish maternity fashion is a phenomenon that continues to grow, offering lots more ways to look chic while pregnant. With big-time specialty designers such as Modern Mom’s style expert Liz Lange, Pea in the Pod and Chiarakruza, and stores such as Gap and H&M targeting the pregnant woman, celebrity moms, and the rest of us, have many more sartorial options than our mothers and grandmothers did when they were carrying children.
What’s interesting today is that while younger moms like Katie Holmes appear fairly tame in their pregnancy fashion choices, older moms-to-be Nicole Kidman and Halle Berry have been pushing the sartorial envelope. That’s a change to embrace! A couple years ago, older moms-to-be such as Julia Roberts and Courteney Cox stuck with button shirts and flow-y fabrics. But Halle seemed hell-bent on taking bump fashion to the next level, with her saucy Dolce and Gabanna cocktail dresses.
What celebumoms have realized is that being pregnant is yet another opportunity to show off your sense of chic. And we’ve noticed that the older Hollywood moms-to-be have taken bold fashion risks. It could be that maturity brings added confidence.
Celebumom Kate Beckinsale, 35, recently told Allure magazine that she doesn’t care what people say about her anymore. “That’s the nice thing about getting to the age I am. I could have said I didn’t care before
— but secretly I did. And now I really don’t.”
However, moms-to-be of all ages are choosing to shine during their pregnancies, showing that maternity can be sexy, fun, and fashionable, and that you don’t have to sacrifice your personal style as your baby bump grows. Here are some of Mommywood’s favorite maternity style icons:
Katie Holmes: Classy Girl-Next-Door
Although as a young mom-to-be, Katie could have gotten away with
Nicole Richie: Best Beach Bod
Remember how refreshing it was to see the formerly skeletal
Jessica Alba: City Stylin’
Sticking with her personal style hasn’t been too difficult for
Nicole Kidman: Sexy Glamourpuss
While we haven’t gotten a chance to see Nicole too often during
Minnie Driver: All Dressed Up
So far, Minnie’s been sheathing her new pregnancy curves in long
Cate Blanchett: Smoldering Red-Carpet Staple
In terms of how one should dress at each age, comfort is really key. Stephanie Boye, designer of the Chiarakruza, the stylish maternity line that boasts fans such as Halle Berry, gave Mommywood her top tips for looking your best while carrying baby:
Preggers in your 20’s?
1. SPICE IT UP: Pregnancy is a very sexy time in a woman’s life. And in your 20’s you can get away with easy carefree looks. Spice up your young look with flirty, super stylish dresses.
2. TAKE A RISK: You are too young to lock yourself into just one look. Be cool. Be silly. Take advantage.
3. STAY TRUE TO YOUR INDIVIDUAL STYLE: Dressing in your 20’s allows for some fun and wild outfits, but it doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your style to the trends. Wear what suits you best, whether you prefer to go comfortable, chic, or classic.
Preggers in your 30’s and 40’s?
1. PICK PIECES THAT FLATTER YOU: Be comfortable in your skin. Keeping up with the latest trend is less important than knowing what looks great on you! Halle Berry is a perfect example that being pregnant in your 40’s does not mean you have to sacrifice your amazing style. (Halle often wore Chiarakruza’s Netalie Turtleneck and Sexy Jeans).
2. BE BOLD: Have fun with colors. Spring and summer are the perfect time to opt for bright colors. Bold hues not only look fresh, they can also lift your spirits. Minnie Driver, 38, dazzled in a bright red
dress when she appeared on Jay Leno’s show.
3. HAVE FUN: Showcase your bump with empire-waist tops and dresses. As a mom-to-be in her 40’s, Nicole has managed to make pregnancy look chic by wearing outfits that emphasized her sexy curves.