* Celebudad Patrick Dempsey got a last-minute touchup on the red carpet. Wife Jillian fluffed up his hair before Patrick chatted with “Juno” director Jason Reitman.
* Some dress distress on the carpet! Oscar presenter Keri Russell apologized to onlookers as she passed by dragging along her dress’s train long train, which got stepped on more than a few times. Nominee and dad, Daniel Day-Lewis–who won the Best Actor trophy last night–was spotted by People magazine playfully kicking away his wife Rebecca Miller’s dress and wearing a wide smile, after she pulled it out from under his shoe. Those long gowns are stunning, but dangerous! Glad there were no real misshaps on the carpet this year.
* Viggo Mortensen, one of my favorite actors, and a celeb dad as well, finally got an Oscar nomination this year. He exuded humbleness on the red-carpet, saying, “I feel probably like Eli Manning felt at the Super Bowl. Glad to be in the show, ready for anything.”
* I missed seeing some of my fave celeb moms this year. Halle Berry and Angelina Jolie were, some say, snubbed by the Academy this year (for “Things We Lost in the Fire” and “A Mighty Heart,” respectively), and didn’t hit the red carpet. Granted, they are both pregnant, and are probably relieved to watch the Oscar circus from their living rooms this year.
* But other moms-to-be did make it to the ceremony, as host, and dad, Jon Stewart, noted in a special shout out. He said, “Jessica Alba….Cate Blanchett…Two pregnant women tonight at the Oscars…obviously the night is still young and Jack [Nicholson — a notorious womanizer] is here. Perhaps, sir, we will re-tally at the end of the night.” Later, Jon did a mock award especially for the pregnant celebs in the audience, Cate, Jessica, and Nicole Kidman. He opened the envelope with, “And the baby goes to…Angelina Jolie…Angelina couldn’t be here tonight. It’s hard to find 17 babysitters, so I will accept this baby on her behalf.”
* How cute was Cate Blanchett when Marion Cotillard won for Best Actress? She was so genuinely excited for Marion. It was really sweet.
* Four-month pregnant Nicole Kidman presented the Honorary Oscar this year and she absolutely glowed in her slinky, black dress! Her baby bump also made itself known. I am still so excited for her and Keith — they are going to be great parents together.
* And to wrap up the night…celebumoms Demi Moore and Madonnathrew an Oscar bash last night, some say to replace the annual, and much anticipated Vanity Fair party, canceled due to the writers’ strike. The stars are said to have invited a select group of “a few hundred people” drawn from the biggest names in Hollywood. A source tells Variety, “Everybody’s on [the list]. It gives the A-list Vanity Fair crowd someplace to go to.” Way to go Demi and Madonna. I’ll bet that was one party not to be missed!