Actor Heath Ledger’s sudden death was determined as an accidental overdose, the Office of Chief Medical Examiner for the City of New York has concluded.
“Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine,” said an announcement released Wednesday morning by office spokesperson Ellen Borakove. “We have concluded that the manner of death is accident, resulting from the abuse of prescription medications.”
The drugs found in Heath’s system were all legal, and are typically used to treat various common health problems. Oxycodone is a pain medication, hydrocodone is a cough suppressant, temazepam treats anxiety or sleeplessness, and doxylamine is a sedating antihistamine. Diazepam is commonly called Valium and alprazolam is known as Xanax.
Heath’s family released a statement following the news, “We remain humble as parents and a family, among millions of people worldwide who may have suffered the tragic loss of a child…Today’s results put an end to speculation, but our son’s beautiful spirit and enduring memory will forever remain in our hearts.”
The statement continues, “We treasure our beautiful granddaughter Matilda (to our dear Michelle) as well as an unbelievably wonderful network of close friends, forever, around the world. Families rarely experience the uplifting, warm and massive outpouring of grief and support as have we, from every corner of the planet. This has deeply and profoundly touched our hearts and lives. We are eternally grateful.”