TUNING INTO YOUR NEEDS –
Whether you are a full time parent or the head of a company the stress of either can zap your energy. It’s hard to give, be patient and present when your batteries are totally depleted. When you are on an airplane the first thing they tell you is, “ incase of an emergency to make sure to put your mask on first before assisting your children”. This is a great metaphor for parenting yourself because how can you possibly be there and give to another when you are completely drained have nothing left to give?
Just as important as it is to be there for your children its critical to tune into , listen and follow what you need and to take the time to recharge. Sometimes we get so busy taking care of everyone else we lose the connection to what we need . A simple exercise I do with my clients to help reconnect them is:
TUNING INTO YOUR NEEDS – BREATH WORK –
– Get in a comfortable seated position or if you are more comfortable lying down then that’s fine too
– With your left hand on your heart and right hand on your belly, Slowly begin breathing through your nose taking in deep slow breaths for the count of 3 then exhale out of your nose slowly for the count of 3, breathing into your deep into your heart and belly repeat this 3 times.
– Now on the in breath begin breathing in words and feelings like peace, love, calm and on the exhale breath out stress, tension, fear. Breathing in what you need then breathing out and letting go of what you don’t, let the words flow in and out what ever words and feeling come take then in and let go of what no longer serves you. Keep doing until the words and feelings of the out breath stop coming to you.
– Breathing into your heart and belly, simply ask what do I need right now? If nothing comes ask again. If you get an answer that doesn’t make sense sit with it and ask for clarity. Be open and just go with it ..
– An example : The other day I did this with a client of mine who was 5 weeks pregnant and I asked her what she needed the first thing she said was time , I then asked what does that mean ? She said time alone, to prepare, to digest that I am pregnant, quiet time, time with my husband and to settle in my new home. She had been traveling and non stop working non stop and she needed some space in her life to just be , process , and prepare .( together we created a program for more space and time for her in her life ) when we were finished she looked at me and said “ Oh my God I had no idea I felt this way “
TODAY TRY THIS, ASK YOURSELF WHAT DO I NEED RIGHT NOW?