Can Certain Hair Products Cause Hair Loss in Men?
2 mins read

Can Certain Hair Products Cause Hair Loss in Men?

Many men notice a decrease in scalp hair as they age. Thinning hair and baldness have a variety of causes, ranging from heredity to the use of certain products. Determining what is causing your hair loss is the first step in identifying and treating this condition. In some instances, changing your styling techniques and switching your hair care products may help solve your problem.

Hair Loss

Although the rate of normal hair growth varies between individuals, most people experience an average growth of about 1 cm each month. While 90 percent of your hair is actively growing, the other 10 percent is in a resting phase. The average person sheds between 50 and 100 hairs every day. When the rate of shedding exceeds the rate of new hair growth, you may notice thinning and even balding. Hair breakage may also cause your hair to look thinner.


Hair loss can occur for numerous reasons, including medical treatments, disease, hormonal changes, medications and poor nutrition. Like women, men can experience hair loss due to styling techniques. Excessive hairstyling can cause a condition known as traction alopecia, while hair treatments and chemical products can break off your hair strands or cause damage to the hair shafts.


Chemicals in hair dyes, tints, bleaches, straighteners and permanent waves can cause damage and breakage. Incorrect use, as well as overuse, of these harsh products can increase your risk of hair loss. These products may cause additional irritation in individuals with scalp psoriasis, often leading to hair breakage and thinning. Some products, including those used in hot oil treatments, may cause swelling of the follicles, which may result in scarring of your scalp and permanent hair loss.

Hair Care

Limiting your use of chemical products may help you avoid hair loss due to breakage and scalp irritation. If you must use chemical products, have a professional stylist perform the procedure. A patch test can determine how your scalp and hair reacts to the chemicals in products. Alternate shampoos, use conditioners after every shampoo, and let your hair dry naturally.


While some products may cause your hair loss, other elements may contribute to your condition. Contact your doctor if you experience sudden changes in the growth of your hair. Your doctor can help determine the cause of your hair loss and rule out any underlying medical disorders, including illness and bacterial infections.

Leave a Reply