Every week on Dancing with the Stars, Brooke Burke goes from “Mom” to “Glam!” Here are some tips to help our modern moms recreate these looks at home:
Side Swept Glam
1. On towel-dried hair, apply a curl activating cream (EVO Liquid Rollers) from roots to ends.
2. Blowdry hair using a round brush, and smoothing as you go.
3. Separate hair into two sections, creating a top and bottom. Use your eyeline as a guide for where to divide the hair.
4. Take pieces of hair in two inch random sections, and curl them, working your way around the head using a 1 ½ inch barrel curling iron.
5. Pin loosely as you go. Do this for both the top and bottom sections.
6. Spray lightly with a brushable finishing spray (Elnette).
7. Secure the direction of the side sweep by using two large bobby pins, placed in a criss cross at the base of the hairline.
8. Lightly finish with a finishing spray and a spray gloss (USPA Frangipani Shine).
High Glam Bun
1. On towel dried hair, apply a curl activating cream (EVO Liquid Rollers) from roots to ends.
2. Using a round brush, blowdry the hair, smoothing as you go.
3. Work your way around the head using a 1 ½ inch barrel curling iron. Pin loosely as you go.
4. Allow to cool and set for 10 minutes or longer.
5. Release the curls. Finger through the hair or lightly brush.
6. Smooth hair all around the head and pull into a high ponytail using a Mason Pearson brush.
7. Secure any bumps or flyaways by smoothing hair towards the ponytail and spraying with a brushable finishing spray (Elnette).
8. Separate the ponytail into two sections.
9. Wrap section one loosely around the base of the ponytail, tucking the end.
10. Secure with two or more bobby pins at 11 and 5 o’clock.
11. Wrap section two loosely around the base.
12. Secure with two or more bobby pins at 1 and 7 o’clock.
13. Lightly pull and loosen the wrapped hair to expand the bun.
14. Finish lightly with a hairspray.
Use a second mirror to see proportions of bun to chin (keep bun on the crown).
Don’t become a pincushion, use bobby pins sparingly (criss cross helps).
Use a snag free band for the pony (Blax).
Use a brushable hairspray to allow ease in taking down your look.