It’s March Ladies! Spring is in the air. Out with the old, in with the new!
I was hoping to check in yesterday, but unfortunately I caught my son’s stomach flu and spent the night and day in the toilet. Fun stuff! It was great to take a total time out from my life, and I thoroughly enjoyed it (in between the bathroom visits). I watched my hunky Robert Pattinson on the View, who was just too weird to handle, but anyhow. I caught up on some Tivo, and even started watching The Reader.
But back to March. I love Spring and all its cleaning. In the next few weeks, I’ll clean out my garage, my cupboards, the kids closets, my closets and more. Actually, I have a funny story about spring cleaning. A few years ago, when I was working my LONG days at my company, we had a new nanny start with us. It was her first week on the job, and while I was working, and my son was napping, Miss Proactive took it upon herself to help me in a spring clean up. She started with my husband’s night table as she saw that area needed immediate attention. We didn’t realize she had actually cleaned it until we got into bed that night and my husband went to throw a receipt in his drawer, and saw his PLAYBOY MAGAZINE AND PORNO neatly organized in the top drawer!!! “Don’t tell me she cleaned out my night table!” he nervously asked. “Wow look at that! It’s so neat and great!” I replied excitedly. The short in the long being, without making my husband look like a complete horn-dog, is we had ended up with the porno DVD from our friend’s Chanukah party gift exchange (don’t ask), and the Playboy mag he had bought with me cuz he just loved the girl on the cover. It slips my mind now who it was… I think it was Denise Richards.
But seriously, spring is a chance to clean up your house, literally and figuratively! There’s more to house cleaning than just cleaning out your basement and cedar closet! You should be approaching your spring cleaning as an emotional cleanse, just as much as the physical cleaning. What dust-balls are lurking in the corner in your life?? Gotta clean up, ladies!
Here are some tips to get you off the fence, and start spring cleaning your life!
- Sweep out the old. We all have garbage in our lives we need to get rid of, from bad habits, to negative personality traits, to toxic relationships. If you’ve been carrying around all this crap, it’s time to open the door, and sweep it out of your life!
- Wash away procrastination. Do you constantly find yourself behind the 8 ball, trying to catch up, and keep up? Plan ahead! No more putting off tomorrow what you can do today. Look at your calendar and get organized! Procrastination leads to stress, and who wants added stress in their life? Stop waiting until the last minute for everything! I am always so guilty of this, but I’m working on it.
- Dust off that attitude! Instead of always moping about what you DON’T have, be grateful for what you DO have! We’re all guilty of sometimes letting our attitudes get the best of us. A positive attitude is a must. Get outside for a walk, or head to the gym. It often refocuses us. Things often don’t look as bad once you’ve regrouped.
- Clean up your finances! Do you have unopened bills sitting on your desk? Are you falling behind in your payments? It’s not too late. Now’s the time to be proactive. Sit down, close the door, and start cleaning up your desk and your finances! Seek financial advice if you’re too overwhelmed to start making a change alone. Make a list of priorities and tackle them one at a time. Living with financial concerns is a reality for most everyone, but there are ways you can improve your finances and get them in check.
- Clean Up Your Marriage. Do you feel the lines of communication have broken down in your relationship? If so, this needs to be attended to pronto! Ask a parent or friend to take your kids, and make a date with your significant other! Reconnect. TALK. Discuss the issues that have been tearing you apart. There is no better time than now to clean up your relationship and work towards a more blissful marriage. Come to think of it, I’m due for a date night!!
- Start small. If you’re so overwhelmed like most people are when it comes to spring cleaning your house and your life, START SMALL! Make a list of everything that bothers you, and that needs cleaning. Both in your house and your life. A great idea is to get rid of one thing per week on your list. As your start to cross those things off your list, you’ll start to feel lighter. Also, on a house cleaning note: THINK BEFORE YOU BUY. Do you really need that extra WHATEVER??
So ladies, spring is almost in the air! The flowers are on their way. Clean up your house! Clean up your life! Make a list, and get started! What are you waiting for? And tell us, what’s on your spring cleaning to-do list?