Watermelon Chicken Pita "Pizza"
In our constant quest to find a healthy, easy meal that Tammy’s kids will love - we stumbled across a star! It's basically like a pizza, so from a kid’s standpoint, you really can’t go wrong. Plus, it’s packed with unexpected flavors.
As you may already know, we are huge watermelon fans. We love that it tastes like candy, but it’s full of nutrients and is 92% water, so it hydrates and fills you up without filling you out!
Best of all, it curbs your hunger by appeasing your taste buds, which is one reason why we’re always looking for ways to include it in our menus.
We found this knock-out recipe on The National Watermelon Promotion Board website and made a few adjustments. We hope you like it as much as we do.
Greek Pita Flatbread with Watermelon
- 4 wedges of seeded watermelon (bite-size pieces)
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt (We actually just use powdered garlic to keep the salt down)
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 whole pita breads, halved, or whole grain flatbreads
- 1/4 cup prepared spreadable herb cheese (We go for the light variety)
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- Optional: We also toss on cucumber or broccoli or whatever veggies we have around that day.
Place sliced watermelon on paper towels to remove excess liquid.
Mix chicken, cilantro, yogurt, garlic salt and cayenne. Spread inside surfaces of pita bread halves with herbed cheese and fill each with about 1/4 cup chicken mixture.
Arrange watermelon and lettuce in pita bread.
Makes 4 Flatbread Rounds
Why you’ll love it:
- Who doesn’t love pizza in any form?! This one knocks the calories in half. So easy to make!
- It's full of nutrients
- Chicken breast - hello lean protein!
- Thank you watermelon! It's packed with vitamins A and C, and is a great way to get potassium, magnesium, vitamin B6
- Whole wheat pita bread - hello fiber, good bye Metamucil!
- Greek yogurt = protein and calcium for strong bones
Enjoy, and please let us know what you think! What are your family faves when it comes to easy, healthy recipes?
The Nutrition Twins work with The National Watermelon Promotion Board to help people to get more nutrients and more watermelon in their lives.
Image credit: www.watermelon.org
Put a Fresh Spin on Your Labor Day BBQ Menu
Skip The Sugar: Sweet Snack Alternatives For Kids
Why It Sucks To Be The Second Child
How to Make Your Own Natural Body Scrub
Dragons Interactive Story App + Giveaway!
Chocolate Marshmallow Pretzel Bars
Tips for Avoiding School Picture Day Disasters
Travel Survival Skills for Car Trips With Kids
Triple F (Fennel, Frisee and Fruit) Salad
Dinner Time Debates: How to Take the Stress out of Supper
5 Best Labor Day Recipes
5 Ways To Lose Your Baby Weight
5 Ways to Keep Your Child's Room Organized
'Twas The Night Before Kindergarten
Recall: Chicken Ceasar Salad Kits Recalled
Eight Ways to Keep the Sizzle in Your Relationship