Sautéed Strawberry Avocado and Goat Cheese Sandwichby The Nutrition Twins
As busy moms, we've all got full plates and welcome any meal that is delicious, easy to make and healthy. That's why we were thrilled when we found this healthy recipe that combines so many of our favorite ingredients in one hot mess of a recipe!
Strawberries, avocados, cheese and bread are all used in this creative lunch recipe. Fiber-filled whole wheat toast and strawberries will boost your energy while the heart-healthy mashed avocados contain those mono-unsaturated fats to extend the energy boost of the bread.
These are the perfect lunch ingredients that keep your brain fueled with energy! Oh, and did we mention that each open-face melt is under 200 calories? Gotta love it!
But best of all, your kids will love it too! And it's a great meal to get your kids involved in the preparation. Tammy's daughters had fun mashing up the avocado with a fork and then mixing in the lemon juice-- and we love all the help we can get (woohoo!). They also love to "sneak" strawberry slices as we make the sandwiches. And as nutritionists, we certainly don't mind when kids "sneak" extra vitamin and anti-oxidant rich fruits!
Sautéed Strawberry Avocado and Goat Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1/2 avocado
- 3 medium strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1/2 oz goat’s cheese
- 1 tsp unrefined coconut oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Black pepper and sea salt to top
1. Toast the bread and place on a cooling rack
2. Turn your oven on to broil
3. Mash the avocado with a fork and then mix in the lemon juice and salt.
4. Add oil to a small pan over medium heat.
5. Once hot, add the strawberries and balsamic, cooking for 3-5min until softened but not falling apart. Stir and flip a few times.
6. Add as much avocado to the toast as desired and add 1 layer of cooked strawberries.
7. Top with a thin layer of goat cheese.
8. Broil until melted, about 1-3min. Be careful that your cheese does not burn.
Nutrition Information (per open face melt)
Calories: 193.5; Fat: 11.6g; Carbohydrates: 17.7g; Fiber: 5.6g; Protein: 6.3g
(Photo and recipe adapted from Edible Perspective)