I went to a BBQ this past weekend and, of course, was asked to bring a ‘quinoa salad of some sort’.
Now, when you ask me to bring a quinoa salad, I get really excited. Why? Well, because I love quinoa, of course. But, more importantly I get excited because it’s a chance to introduce people to how flavorful, fragrant, and wonderful a quinoa dish can be. I get excited to show everyone that quinoa is a true crowd pleaser… I get excited to have people say, “Wow, can I get the recipe?” (And for my ladies that asked for the recipe, this post is dedicated to you )
Hence, I brought this – THE salad my family and I can’t seem to get enough of right now:
- 2 cups precooked quinoa
- 2 cans organic black beans, drained and rinsed (always buy canned beans with nothing but beans, water, and salt on the ingredient label)
- 2 large sweet bell peppers, diced
- 2 cups of baby arugula
- 1/2 cup cilantro, washed and rough chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 medium jalapeño, diced (remove HALF the seeds for less spice)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 tsp diced garlic (approx 3 small cloves)
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- Put your quinoa and beans into a large bowl.
- Add your argula, chopped cilantro, diced bell peppers, red onion, and diced jalapeño.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together your dressing ingredients and pour dressing evenly over the top of the salad.
- Stir to evenly coat all ingredients, taste for flavor, and (if necessary), add more salt and pepper to taste.
Here’s what it’ll look like:
And then look at the bowl of beauty you end up with:
(NOTE: this recipe makes about 4-5 full bowl servings. But, here’s the good news: it gets better as it sits! So, even if you don’t have a BBQ or a big crowd to serve, make the full batch and save the rest for the next day or two. You won’t regret it.)