You know the cake is good when…your girlfriend calls you up from the hospital, feet in stirrups about to give birth and requests that you make it, stat! When I visited Ms. Craving in the hospital, the first thing she said as I entered her room was, “Did you bring THE Rum Cake.” Good thing the alcohol burns off in the oven! In honor of her new baby, we thought this recipe was a good one to start off 2010 with a bang!
Preheat oven 325ºF. Grease Bundt pan w/ non-stick baking spray with flour (or grease and flour the old fashioned way). In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment mix cake mix, instant pudding, eggs, oil, water, and rum on low speed until completely blended.
Pour cake mix into Bundt pan. Bake one hour. Cool for 10 minutes. Do NOT remove from pan.
Time for the Fun Part
In a small saucepan, melt butter. Mix in sugar, water and rum and stir until sugar is dissolved.
Use a wood skewer to poke holes all over the exposed top of the cake. Spoon butter mixture all over cake until you have used all the liquid. Let the cake rest in pan for one hour. Unmold/ slice /eat. **** Beware of pregnant ladies or women about to give birth!
Sass it up!
* Go NUTS! Sprinkle ½ c. coarsely chopped (large pieces) walnuts or pecans over bottom of Bundt pan prior to pouring batter in. Bake as directed.
* Sugar High: Hand mix a bag of butterscotch chips into the batter prior to pouring batter into pan. Bake as directed.
- One package yellow cake mix (SM’s suggest Duncan Hines)
- One package instant French Vanilla Pudding (3.4 oz.)
- 4 large eggs
- ½ c. oil (vegetable or corn)
- ½ c. warm water
- ½ c. clear Bacardi Rum
- ½ c. salted butter
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- ¼ c. water
- 2 Tbsp. clear Bacardi Rum