“Sometimes you have to let everything go – purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything – whatever is bringing you down – get rid of it. Because you will find that when you are free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
~ Tina Turner
I love Tina Turner and everything she stands for – confidence, tenacity, resilience, woman of action. If I asked you who you consider to be a woman of action, what would you answer?
Gloria Steinem? Oprah Winfrey? Hillary Clinton? Eunice Kennedy Shriver?
When I think about the woman I am and the woman I want to become, I realize that much work is to be done. It’s true, I’m only 34, and I hopefully have many more years of life experiences and growth ahead of me, but I have such a thirst for knowledge and creating a better version of myself, it gets tiresome sometimes. I am constantly striving to achieve a life that’s meaningful, impactful, while still managing to have a kick-ass good ‘ol time in the process. It’s true that our life experiences help shape us into the person we are, but it is up to us to decide what version of ourselves we want to be in the future.
I had the pleasure of having a fellow Blogger (YummyMummy.ca) and all around great lady over for lunch this weekend, Erica Ehm. Growing up in Canada as a total music junkie, I have endless memories of watching VJ Erica Ehm on MuchMusic (Our version of MTV). Because of Blogging and Twitter (and unfortunately on a funeral on her end), our worlds collided, and Erica and her kids ended up at my house for lunch on Saturday. Imagine us, two Erica M’s – Erica Ehm and me, Erica M (my maiden name is Mintz). We chatted about life, Blogging, the kids, career and all things woman. She was just that… a confident woman of action. It was refreshing. Erica, wherever you are, you inspired me!
But it’s true. There are few things more attractive in a woman than inner confidence. A woman who wears confidence in a non egotistical way radiates strength, conviction and passion. And it can be contagious. A confident woman knows who she is. A confident woman knows herself, through and through, and isn’t afraid to appear vulnerable. She understands her purpose, and she uses her god given gifts to her advantage. A confident woman isn’t afraid to be herself. Confident women are often women of action. It’s the feeling inside that no matter what it is that ignites you, the urge to follow your passion is so strong, and nothing and no one can hold you down.
If you feel like you’ve been holding back, and that now is your time to be a Confident Woman Of Action, here are some tips:
1. Face your fears – I promise you, they aren’t as bad as you think. When you face your fears, dead on, your confidence will increase. It will take you out of your comfort zone, but it will make you believe in yourself.
2. Forget your failures – If you’ve failed, I always say, never ignore the message. There’s no future in the past. Mistakes are made all the time, but you must always learn from them. When you don’t ignore the message, you learn, and when you learn, you grow. When you grow, your confidence grows and you’re then able to make better decisions, more sound decisions.
3. Know what you want and never be afraid to ask for it. You always hear this in sex talk– “Tell your partner how you like it, and don’t be afraid to speak up.” It’s also true in life. When you ask for what you need, you instantly feel more assertive and confident. Everyone deserves to have their dreams come true. Why shouldn’t you try to make that happen?
4. Dive into something you’re passionate about. Once you increase your confidence, make a list of 3 things you hope to accomplish in the next 6 months. Try and work towards those goals, bit by bit each day. You should feel like you’ve contributed, and done something of impact at the end of a day. Not just like you simply went through the motions, yet another day.
5. Celebrate Milestones! – When you’ve achieved one of your goals, it’s cause for celebration! Break out the bubbly, a glass of wine, a lunch date with some girlfriends, a massage, a romantic date with your honey! Successes are meant to be soaked up and enjoyed.
So ladies, I often ask you to make a commitment to yourself. I talk about how we all deserve to be happy. We do! But you also should think about how you’re going to better yourself, and become a woman of action. I have made a commitment to improving my existence and trying to help others get off the fence and live their life to its fullest. What’s your commitment?
Feel free to write your goals and aspirations right here and your action plan on how you are going to become a confident woman of action?
Happy Monday! And please don’t forget, if you’re TEAM EDWARD, Robert Pattinson from The Twilight Saga is on The View tomorrow. Yowzer!!!