A balanced diet not only promotes weight loss, but each food group provides essential vitamins and minerals to your body to keep it functioning. Take a look at what these foods offer your body.
• Essential for maintaining a healthy immune system.
• Helps to build strong bones; slows bone loss; and reduces fragility.
Choose: Fat-free or low-fat milk and yogurt.
• Lean meats contain the essential amino acids the body needs.
• More iron is absorbed by the body from beef than from spinach.
• High in protein and zinc.
Choose: Beef and pork cuts with the terms “loin” or “round.” These are naturally lean cuts of meat.
• Important for cardiovascular health.
• Helps regulate blood clotting and vessel constriction.
• Omega-3s improve the condition of your skin, hair, and nails.
Choose: Salmon, tuna, or tilapia, as all are high in omega-3 fatty acids.
• Help curb your appetite and aid in long-term weight loss.
• Great source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
• Tons of fiber and nutrients.
Choose: Whole grain pastas, breads, and cereals that are high in fiber, B vitamins, and magnesium.
Fruits & Vegetables
• Low in calories.
• Broccoli is rich in vitamins A and C.
• Tomatoes are high in flavonoids which help prevent heart disease and cancer.
• Mushrooms are high in vitamin B which help with red blood cell functioning.
Choose: A variety of fresh or frozen vegetables/fruits without the extras, such as added sauces.