Imagine this: You’re 12 years old and you come home from school on a gloomy, rainy day. After sloshing around in giant puddles all day, all you really want to do is curl with a blanket and sit in front of the fireplace…with your homework, of course (thanks Mom!). It seems like hours have passed by when Mom’s "Dinner!" call finally reaches your ears. You walk up to the table and what do you see, sitting in a big bowl with steam rising toward the ceiling? SPAGHETTI. The perfect comfort food. And if there was ever a traditional instantly-makes-you-feel-better meal, it wouldn’t be complete without the perfect splash of sauce!
It pretty much goes without saying that homemade recipes trump all…especially if it’s your great-grandmother Giuseppina’s . But if you’re gonna go store-bought, which is what happens 99% of the time at my house, here are the five best pasta sauces that will stand up to the test of your taste buds!
1. Rao’s Homemade Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce with Basil, $9 a jar. Fresh with a good balance of flavors. Homemade taste without the "homemade" part!
2. Bove’s Basil Pasta Sauce, $5 a jar. Tastes like you’re at the pizzeria! This sauce contains a notable hint of Parmesan cheese along with other delicious, herby traces.
3. Emeril’s All Natural Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce, $5 a jar. Great tomato flavor and texture. Sweet with infused basil taste.
4. Classico Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce, $3 a jar. A thinner consistency with a kick of garlic. Delicious when a little basil is added at home.
5. Buitoni Alfredo Sauce, $4 a tub. For those of you who prefer white sauce on your pasta, alfredo is a delicious alternative to your typical marinara. This brand comes in little tubs in the refrigerated aisle of the supermarket. A traditional blend of cream, butter, and Parmesan cheese makes this sauce pretty good for being store bought.