We love this recipe so much we make a batch on the weekends, cook all of them and freeze for the week. A quick visit in the toaster brings a healthy start to the day.
Slim and trim with the TwiceBakedTwins!!
Here’s our recipe for whole wheat pancakes with local honey and fresh fruit:
Healthy Whole Wheat Pancakes
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk**
- 1 tablespoon honey*or agave
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh fruits of your choice
- Fresh local honey/ or agave for drizzling*
** we have replaced the milk with every variety (1%, 2% even low fat Buttermilk) of milk and the recipe was just fine!
* “Any good quality, honey directly from a beekeeper or farmers market is the only pure, natural and unprocessed sweetener that has traces of minerals, vitamins and antibacterial properties. These can help boost your immune system and a healthy immune system will help fight allergies, sore throats and colds.” -Marina Marchese, Red Bee Honey, President of the Back Yard Beekeepers of CT
Mix all ingredients together until just blended. Let batter rest five minutes. (over beating will cause any pancake to be rubbery). Heat skillet on medium heat, spray with non stick spray and cook until small bubbles appear.
Turn pancake over and cook 2 minutes more. Serve with fresh fruit, jam and some great local honey.