How Can Moms Find Motivation To Exercise?by Lana Titus
As a busy mother of three (do I really even need to put "busy"? lol), there isn't a day that goes by when someone doesn't ask, "how do you do it? How do you stay fit and raise 3 kids, where do you find the time??"
Besides having an amazing and supportive partner, the answer is that I make being active a top priority. This means that doing a physical activity every day has a permanent spot on my to-do list that I CANNOT erase.
I make it a priority, whether it's getting up and putting on my work-out clothes ahead of time (so I know that's what I'm going to do as soon as I drop the kids off at school) or taking the baby for a walk around the block so that Mommy can get a work-out while the baby gets some fresh air and outdoor scenery.
I make it happen, because otherwise it's too easy to to let the day get away from you.
Here are some of my favorite ways to sneak in a workout:
- Do a workout video: Take 20 or 30 minutes while your child is playing or sleeping (OnDemand has tons of free ones, and you can try a different program every time!)
- Do a mom and child workout: like push-ups to kiss the child (even older kids find this fun), squats while you hold the child, or tricep dips on the chair with child on your lap for added weight ;)
- Playground workout: This is one of my favorites! While the kids are playing, I swing on the monkey bars (kids find this extremely amusing for some reason ;) use the monkey bars for pull ups and for hanging leg raises to work the lower abs (so important after pregnancy)
- Do jumping jacks in the grass.
- Play tag in the back yard or at the park, it's a great way to sneak in some cardio and get your heart rate up.
As always remember, doing something is better than nothing - but why not push yourself a little harder and make those changes not only in your body but in your mood as well?
Yours in health!