I’ve always sworn that I wouldn’t get a dog. My kids have begged for one every day for as long as I can remember. They make a full-time job of it.
My reasons for being immune to their pleas have been many:
- I don’t really like touching them because they’re – well, you know…ANIMALS.
- I have spent too long cleaning up human poop. Do I really want to add animal poop to my repertoire?
- I already feel so emotionally attached and responsible for six little humans. Do I have the emotional energy to worry about another living creature?
- While kids make big promises around pet care, I know, at the end of the day, a puppy becomes Mama’s new baby and only wants her. I’ve seen how that puppy thing pans out.
So why am I weakening? Why do I find myself contemplating the very thing I said I would never do?
1. When a bunch of friends and neighbours got dogs over the last year, I called them all fools – FOOLS, I tell you. And yet, each one swears their family pet was a great decision that they have not regretted. And I don’t *think* they’re lying to me.
2. I actually believe my kids would take care of the dog and pick up the poop. They know that if they stopped doing so, someone might “accidentally” leave the gate open and it would be bye- bye Rover.
3. Their faces. Yes, I can only imagine the reactions if I presented a puppy. They would probably think someone was impersonating me. My sister asked if I would be willing to endure years of doggie care-taking in exchange for a few moments of seeing extreme shock and delight on their faces. My answer – I just might.
So talk to me, wise council of readers. Do you have a family dog? Am I crazy? What kind do I get if I decide to go for it?
Someone – please, anyone – be the voice of reason and tell me I’m just going through a weird hormonal stage because my baby is now three years old and normally I would have another baby or two by now.
Am I just a bit clucky and I should let it pass?
Apparently a cute little guy like this is only 20 lbs and doesn’t shed. However, Daddy-o apparently wouldn’t agree to anything with the word “doodle” in it.