If you’re looking for an easy-to-prepare dinner to help to squeeze some nutrients and fiber into your family, you’ve found your perfect match!
Say hello to quinoa and chickpeas, both packed with protein and fiber – gotta love that! This delicious dish is also a great way to introduce your kids to quinoa with the tomato-ey sauce.
Tip: This recipe serves two but we double the recipe to make enough for the entire family Then we team it up with a side of steamed broccoli.
- ½ cup chickpeas, canned, rinsed, and drained
- ½ cup onions, finely chopped
- Cooking spray or oil in a spray container.
- 1 cup fresh spinach, tightly packed
- ½ 15 oz. can tomatoes w/ juice (no salt added)
- ½ c. mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ c. water
- 1 tsp. garlic chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh basil, chopped
- ½ c. quinoa, cooked
- Spritz a frying pan with cooking spray or oil from spray container and sauté onions and mushrooms on med- high heat. After onions and mushrooms are golden and tender, add spinach, garlic and a ¼ c. of water and stir.
- Sauté the spinach, onions, and mushrooms until the spinach is wilted. Then, add canned tomatoes, and chickpeas. Sauté all ingredients on low- medium for about 5-7 minutes.
- Afterwards, pour ingredients on ¼ c. of cooked quinoa and garnish with chopped basil.
Serves: 2, Serving Size: 1/2 recipe; Calories per Serving: 149; Total Fat: 2g; Protein: 7g; Carbohydrate: 27g; Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 5g; Sodium: 88mg
Get the book!
For more recipes like this, please check out The Nutrition Twins’ Veggie Cure, available now on Amazon.